Thursday, July 09, 2009

Warren Dunes State Park!



I cannot even beging to describe to you how beautiful this place is!! It is utterly amazing, and I fell totally in love. SO did my family. Warren Dunes is about a 2 hour drive from Chicago, and it is where my dad grew up! Near there anyway...he would go there with friends all the time when he was young (SOOOO long ago!) For the first time in my life, I felt my "roots" when I was there...corny, I know. BUt I LOVE IT. We will be returning! When we first pulled in, we could see these HUGE dunes on one side, and the lake and beach on the other. I cant even tell you how huge theses dunes were, more like sand mountains!! The boys wanted to climb first thing! So up we went. The view was amazing! We were all huffing and puffing by the time we reached the top! But the run down was well worth it! :D After that, we headed to the beach. THe boys automatically went into the water, and JOshua started on his first sand castle. We ate a quick lunch (Micah got so frustrated with the sand on his hands!!) and then back to play. Josh and Jason created a Jabba the Hut which got many many looks and lots of pictures too! A little girl behind us, whom Micah had befriended had pink sand that she asked to put on his tounge! So cute! The boys could have played for days and days. When we wrapped up swim time, we headed to explore and find more dunes to climb. Of course, the boys wanted to climb the tallest ones! Up we went...Betsy stayed down to take pictures of our progress...it was pretty cool to see how tiny we looked! Exhausted, we headed back to B&J's. What a fantastic day. That day was my very favorite. Playing iwth my family in the sand, relaxing with not a care in the world......

1 comment:

Betsy said...

Can't wait for you to come back!! We love you!